Las Vegas is known for how unrelenting our sun is, which can spell bad news for your roof. While most home and business owners worry about inclement weather, like wind and hail, affecting their roof, continued exposure to the sun’s harsh rays can cause unexpected damage. Our team of skilled roofers at Professional Roofing Services has over 30 years of experience serving Las Vegas and surrounding areas, and we know what it takes to keep your roof beautiful and functional.
How Does Sun Affect Your Roof?
The sun can damage your roof through ultraviolet radiation and thermal expansion, and there are some very real signs you can look out for to determine if extended sun exposure has affected your roof.
Signs your roof has experienced sun damage include:
- Bleached or discolored shingles
- Decaying or crumbling shingles
- Pieces of shingle in your gutter or yard
- Curling shingles
- Warping in your roof
While these signs don’t necessarily mean you need to replace your roof right away, if enough of this damage is present over time, you might need repairs more often or need to replace your roof sooner than expected.
Preventing Sun Damage
While wear and tear is natural and impossible to avoid fully, there are things you can do to keep sun damage at bay.
4 ways to prevent sun damage:
- Be proactive about your roof maintenance: Instead of only thinking about your roof once every 15 years, scheduling maintenance once a year can help you spot problem areas early. This not only helps nip sun damage in the bud but also reduces the risk of emergency repairs.
- Schedule roof inspections and damage testing: If you notice some of the above signs of sun damage, it is time to get your roof inspected by a professional. Not only will our experienced roofers detect repairs, but we will also perform damage testing, which can determine the severity of the damage.
- Treat your roof with a sealant or coating: There are many types of sealants and coatings that contain UV protection. Additionally, these products can affect the color of your roof, and a lighter color roof can mean that less heat is being absorbed into your roof’s material.
- Think about the material and color of your roof: While asphalt shingles are most common for homes in Las Vegas, lighter-colored roofs will absorb less heat, and materials like tile and metal can reflect heat and keep the sun away from your space’s interior.
When you’re worried about the roof of your home or business, Professional Roofing Services is the first place to turn. Our qualified roofers have over 30 years of experience and we will thoroughly maintain, inspect, and test your roof. Additionally, we are happy to repair and replace your roof when the time comes. Trust our Las Vegas professionals to treat your home like our home.
If you are looking for a professional to evaluate, repair, or maintain your residential or commercial roof, call us today at (702) 500-0670 or reach out online.